Micah 6:8 says 'What does the Lord require of you? To act justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.' From around a dinner table - this has become the deep commitment and motivation for the Harrison family. Each are commited to giving our life to justice, mercy and walking humbly with our Maker. This blog is our journey....one where we will seek to live in such a manner as to promt the words from God...'well done my good and faithful servants.'

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Blood


Following our time in Phenom Phen we headed to Siam Reap, the home of Angkor Wat. This is a famous temple (one of the Seven Wonders of the World) dating back over 900 years. It was lost to the jungle and found again a few hundred years ago by French colonialists - and it was one of the first places the Khmer Rouge desecrated when they took control. To walk over and around this once bustling city, now laying dormant was breathtaking. To watch our children run ahead of us, to have them listen as we read about a time long ago when Angkor was a power to be reckoned with, to watch them discover the past, to hear Jordan say 'I love history' was a blessing. Added to that was the opportunity for me to wander in my own world and take photos of the ancient, ruined world. There is so much I could write, but I will simply add photos....I want instead to tell you about the end of the day. On our return to the guest house we went past a hospital and saw a sign that was asking people to come in and give blood because of a severe shortage. I noticed the sign and so I said 'Colin' 'Did you see that....they need blood...we should go back right?' Colin said nothing but continued to stare straight ahead. I repeated myself 'Col.' 'We will turn back...ok...and give blood....we should do that don't you think?' . 'Can't say I am too excited about it' said Colin....with a blank stare. But that was enough of a 'yes' for me and so Zach asked the driver of our Tuk Tuk to stop and go back to the hospital. We all unloaded and walked into the hospital. We passed the mats where patients were sitting waiting to be treated. We explained we were there to give blood and we were ushered into a room where there was a doctor and nurse...which soon became a large group of doctors and nurses when the news spread that there were foreign children in the room. As one doctor began the initial tests (what blood group ect) for Colin and I - the children were interacting with the other 7 or 8 doctors...one young doctor took Kenzie and made her a bracelet out of tubing from blood bags (unused) and clamps. When our testing was over the doctor asked Colin and I to lay up on the beds. Colin was a little white faced...but ready and willing. As we lay there trying to encourage each other with slight smiles, the doctor came to me and said that my iron levels were to low to give blood. I sat up...and said "sorry babe...but I have to bail....you are on your own." Colin did valiantly and felt only slightly abandoned by me. Colin then received a bag with a Coke and shirt inside. He helded the shirt tightly and said 'This is great...I will really wear this with pride....' We left the hospital and returned to our guest house and Colin tried on his shirt....but....in a cruel twist of fate....it was too small and he had to hand it on to ME! So I now wear a shirt that states I gave blood in Cambodia....and apparently Colin doesn't feel the least bit bitter!





While there was lots of laughter this experience was really humbling and powerful to us also. Having learnt of so much bloodshed in the past, for Colin especially, giving blood was a practical act of service in the rebuilding of their future. It is very possible that a child's life is saved because of Colin's blood, despite him being a foreigner. For us it is often hard to constantly feel connected to those we live alongside, namely the Karen people. In various ways we are reminded that we are so different from this race. Our skin is different, our eyes, our hair and speach. But despite these differences, as our time in Cambodia reminded us, our blood is the same. We can be deeply connected with these people. Certainly the greatest truth is that it was Christ's blood, that he gave, that allows this connection to take place spiritually. It is His blood, spilt for each of us, that unites us and offers each person a promise of hope and freedom.






4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Wow! Great photos, Ruth. History is so much more impressive and real in person! Great stuff.

And, cool tangible connection by giving blood. Though I must side with Colin... it's not my favorite thing to do. :-)

It is cool how we are all the same inside though. :-)

10:59 AM

 
Blogger Priscilla said...

I loved the connection of our blood! That is awesome...and Christ's blood especially!

5:57 PM

 
Blogger Priscilla said...

It is interesting also to look at the little boy's face, then scroll down and look at the faces in the ancient ruins. Very similar!

5:59 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

I sympathize with Colin. The last time I had to get my blood tested, I nearly fainted. So good on ya Col, you do us proud!

10:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home