Micah 6:8 says 'What does the Lord require of you? To act justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.' From around a dinner table - this has become the deep commitment and motivation for the Harrison family. Each are commited to giving our life to justice, mercy and walking humbly with our Maker. This blog is our journey....one where we will seek to live in such a manner as to promt the words from God...'well done my good and faithful servants.'

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Di Gai

No matter where you live in the world, no matter where you work, no matter where you play, being an authentic Christ follower is a struggle (well, I hope it is for you - because it certainly is for me!). While we are 'loving life' - everyday brings us challenges and disappointments. Everyday brings discouragement and questions. Certainly the days when we go to bed certain we did everything right - are few and far between! Our following of Christ here in the jungle of Thailand, at the orphanage, brings varied feelings. The questions and struggles and discouragement and disappointments, we are told, are evidence that the Christ following is indeed real. While our spirits are lifted by that truth - the reality remains the Christian life is exhausting - would you agree?

There have been many nights when we go to bed juggling thoughts of the past day of living at the school of 60 children and surrounded by the many villagers. Did we communicate the discipline and love together well? Did we empower others to lead? Did we stand up for what we think is right? Did we chose grace? Did we do anything right? Do we want to be here? Are we useful? And so on! Perhaps you ask the same questions at the end of some of your days!
And many nights the only response Colin and I have for each other is....."We have always said that our life will be about loving God and loving people....let's keep doing that....and trust that it really does make a difference" And so we have (amongst many questions and feelings) tried to love God and love people - hoping it was actually changing lives - but not completely certain! (you know that feeling -knowing something in your head but not in your heart?)

This morning I woke at 4am. I had felt frustrated last night at the new roster which has the three high school students (year 11 and 12) down for cooking. Frustrated because these students in the midst of exams are now waking at 4 am to cook and will work until 10pm at night preparing vegetables. So....I think GOD woke me at 4am and I felt I needed to get up and go and help these students. I did this and expressed my concerns for there health and schooling and suggested they talk to the principal about changing the roster. They (culturally) are very submissive and expressed their inability to quit and so I offered them the compromise of me working instead of them every second day and them being able to study, catch up on sleep and so on. They agreed to this and so I will speak with the Principal this afternoon.

Following this chat we all set to work - preparing breakfast. Two of the students began chatting to each other in their Karen language and then stopped. In broken English on of them said 'Ruth, your thinking is different' I asked him what he meant (aware that many of my friends think the same thing!) and he said 'Your thinking is different, you care for people'. Ohhhhh....what encouragement. I said 'That is what I think being a follower of Jesus is....to have different thinking'.

After breakfast I said to Colin (as he was going off to collect water from the river for the toilets) "Col, God is using us, they think our thinking is different". Col too was encouraged.

In the Thai language they say 'kwam su' for happy but have another word for a peaceful, satisfied, encouraged heart - ' di gai'. This morning God (through the words of those he has asked us to come and love) gave us a 'di gai'.

I write this so each of you will be encouraged also. Never wonder if loving God and loving people makes a difference. G.K Chesterton said that no theology is harder to believe than the truth that people matter to God. The commandment to love God and love people -appears to be so pithy, not regal enough, not impressive enough and so, many of us sidestep it in our faith, and go onto more 'godly' matters. I have been reminded to keep my faith about loving God and loving people. So whether you are a teacher or student, employer or employee, mum or dad, the person buying or the person selling......love God and love people.....it is a radical movement changing the world.

2 Comments:

Blogger Priscilla said...

thank you.

5:26 PM

 
Blogger Laura said...

Ruth! I can only think of a couple other people I know through whom I have felt God's love as palpably as I have through you.

Your heart (and Colin's as much as I can tell :-)) burns for God, for his people, for what pleases him. And as you know and have said in different ways, nothing pleases him more than when we love one another. And you do it so well!!! Actually "do" is not the right word...you don't DO love, you ARE love.

I have no doubt the people around you feel your love and God's love, I have no doubt that He is using you to touch them and them to touch you.
And beyond whom you love there you are touching and inspiring us here, and everywhere else you have been! I hope you are encouraged and I hope you continue being you :-)

I love you girl, when are you coming to Denny's to have a cup of tea and a muffin with me? :-)

7:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home